Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Artist

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to see The Artist as a sneak preview. Knowing little (well, nothing, really) about the storyline, I was surprised to discover that the movie was created as a silent film. Initially, I was skeptical of whether it would hold my attention for 100 minutes but by the third scene, I was totally captivated!

Set in 1920s Hollywood, The Artist tells a story of two charismatic movie stars. George Valentin, a prolific silent film star, struggles with adapting to the world of talking pictures. Peppy Miller, a young and energetic aspiring actress, is destined for talkie stardom. The two serendipitously cross paths and develop a relationship that bridges the generational divide.

Beyond the unique storyline, endearing characters, and feel-good ending, I liked that this film was set in a time when my beloved 1913 letterpress also existed. It confirmed for me that truly great concepts are timeless.

Director: Michel Hazanavicius
Stars: Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo and John Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment